From March 31, 2023 – December 29, 2023, Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) recipients who are on an originator biologic will begin to transition to a Health Canada approved biosimilar version of the drug at no cost.
- Lantus® LU codes will be phased out on December 29th, 2023.
- There are now TWO biosimilars for insulin glargine: Semglee® and BasaglarTM.
- Insulin brand must now be specified on a prescription.
- Pharmacists are not allowed to select or substitute insulin brand.
- The billing code K900A (biosimilar support: $61.20) supports these efforts.
The Centre for Effective Practice is offering free 1-on-1, individualized best practice discussions (academic detailing) to help support timely strategies for identifying and preparing patients for the upcoming switch in funding to reduce the chance of insulin therapy interruptions. These sessions are Mainpro+ accredited.
- Sites supported by Thames Valley Family Health Team: Contact your FHT pharmacist to book
- Sites not supported by Thames Valley FHT: